Job Type: Part-time (24 hours per week), Temporary
Salary: $42,000.00 – $45,000.00 per year
Since 1977, Disability Alliance BC (DABC) has been a provincial, cross-disability voice in British Columbia. We champion issues impacting the lives of people with disabilities through our direct services, community partnerships, advocacy, research, and publications.
Tax AID DABC (https://taxaiddabc.org/) is a program of DABC. The program’s mandate is to help people receiving disability benefits to get caught up on multiple years of unfiled income taxes. The program includes more complicated topics such as self-employment income, outstanding amounts owed to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), applying for other tax-related government programs/benefits, and matters related to financial literacy.
We are seeking a part-time tax advocate to join our team. The successful candidate will conduct client intake for Tax AID DABC, prepare and submit income taxes for clients, and assist with increasing community awareness of the program across BC. The advocate will also work on other aspects of the program’s operations as needed including conducting workshops, assisting with program reports, and participating in team meetings/training.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Set-up files for new and existing clients and assist with completion of administrative work
- Prepare complete and accurate tax returns while delivering outstanding customer service
- Compute taxes owed and prepare personal and other tax files ensuring compliance with CRA standards
- Respond to client questions and queries
- Identify technical issues of client files with manager and seek direction from manager
- Liaise and correspond professionally with clients and as well as CRA
- Manage multiple files simultaneously
- Compile and organize client records
- Attend trainings to further develop accounting taxation knowledge as part of an ongoing professional development program
- Meet the requirements to be a tax filer through CRA’s Community Volunteer Income Tax Preparation (CVITP) program
- Have more than 2 years of proven experience for clients using income tax preparation software to prepare income tax returns
- Possess a four-year undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience
- Be self-motivated and adaptable and able to work effectively with a team
- Be detail-oriented with excellent organizational abilities and written skills
- Be a good communicator who can accommodate and work effectively with people with disabilities
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, manage multiple tasks, and meet deadlines
- Desire to provide clients with extraordinary personalized customer service and commitment to a problem-solving approach
- Demonstrate excellence maintaining the integrity and confidentiality of sensitive client information
- Be computer literate and proficient especially in MS Excel and Power Point
- Comfortable providing services in the field using mobile technology (laptop, cellphone, cloud-based software)
- Ability and motivation to constantly learn new material quickly and improve with feedback
- Be available for occasional travel to communities in Lower Mainland
The following would also be assets in the position:
- Volunteer or coordination experience with the Canadian Revenue Agency’s CVITP Program
- Working knowledge of income tax programs for people with disabilities including the Disability Tax Credit, Canada caregiver amount and other deductions
- Completion of an accounting or tax certificate or diploma/degree
- Lived experience with disability
Salary: $42,000.00 to $45,000.00/year (pro-rated)
Work hours: 3 days per week but may change depending on needs of the program. This position is until March 2021 with the possibility of an extension.
DABC is an open and diverse organization that promotes inclusive hiring practices. We encourage applications from qualified applicants who identify as visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and of all sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities. People with diverse abilities are encouraged to apply.
Please submit a resume and brief cover letter addressed to Myung Lee, Program Manager for Tax AID, firstname.lastname@example.org (Please indicate “Tax Advocate” in the email subject line). No phone calls or faxes, please.
Applications are due no later than 4:30 pm on August 10, 2020. DABC welcomes all applications, however, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview. Interviews will be conducted in August and the start date for the position is in September 2020.
- Extended Health Care
- Paid Time Off
- Work From Home