Program Manager for Tax Assistance and Information for People with Disabilities (Tax AID DABC) Program
Tax AID DABC is a program of Disability Alliance BC (DABC) that has been in operation since 2015. The program’s mandate is to provide BC’s disability assistance recipients (PWD/PPMB) with the help they need to file their past and current year’s income taxes. Since Tax AID began, we have helped hundreds of people living in poverty to access the income tax benefits and credits to which they are entitled. Once individuals are current with their taxes they may also be eligible to apply for the Disability Tax Credit (DTC) and Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP). We provide assistance accessing these programs through our complementary program, Access RDSP.
DABC extended the reach of our services in order to provide more assistance to British Columbians with disabilities living in poverty by partnering with three other community organizations: Together Against Poverty Society (TAPS) in Victoria, Ki-Low-Na Friendship Society in Kelowna, and the Active Support Against Poverty Society in Prince George. This partnership has been ongoing over the past 4 years. Through this partnership our four organizations work together to provide direct tax filing assistance to BC disability assistance recipients and develop community awareness on the importance of annual tax filing.
DABC is seeking to hire a Program Manager for the Tax AID program. The Program Manager will be responsible for managing the Program at DABC and coordinating activities between DABC and our partner organizations.
Duties will include:
- Program management and coordination between the four community partners
- Promoting community awareness of the program across BC using a variety of strategies including workshops, promotional materials, and social media
- Developing program activity reports for funders
- Leading a team of three staff plus volunteers, which includes oversight and quality assurance of all tax filings
- Carrying out some direct client service delivery by preparing more complicated tax returns for DABC clients
- Other duties as required for the day-to-day operation of the Program
The successful applicant must:
- Have 5 years of experience in program management
- Have solid interpersonal skills and be a powerful, mature, and efficient communicator who is able to accommodate and work effectively with people with disabilities
- Be self-motivated and adaptable
- Have strong administration and time management skills
- Have experience with budgets and financial management
- Have strong computer skills with good working knowledge of databases
- Be experienced in working as part of a team, and independently taking initiative
- Be detail-oriented with excellent organizational abilities and written skills
- Possess a four-year undergraduate degree
- Demonstrate excellence maintaining the integrity and confidentiality of sensitive client information
- Be eligible to participate as a tax preparer for the Canada Revenue Agency’s Community Volunteer Income Tax Preparation (CVITP) program
- Be able to travel amongst the four partner agencies as needed
The following would also be strong assets in the position:
- Previous experience with the Canadian Revenue Agency’s CVITP Program
- Familiarity with U-File tax preparation software
- Working knowledge of provincial and federal financial programs for people with disabilities, including the DTC and RDSP
- Proficiency in social media
Hours of work:
This position is for 5 days per week.
$54,000 annually, plus extended health benefits.
The Tax Program Manager reports directly to the Co-Executive Directors.
DABC is an open and diverse organization that promotes inclusive hiring practices. We encourage applications from qualified applicants who identify as visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and of all sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Applications are due no later than 4:30 pm on July 19, 2021. DABC welcomes all applications; however, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview. Please submit a resume and brief covering letter to the attention of Karen Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject heading “Tax Aid Program Manager”. No phone calls, mailed-in applications or faxes please.