Community Alert – BC Bus Pass Program Update

June 23, 2016

Dear Community Partner,

The Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation has announced that it is eliminating the $45 annual administrative fee for people on PWD benefits who receive a bus pass through the Bus Pass Program.  People on PWD who use the bus pass will no longer have to reapply for it on an annual basis.

The Ministry is sending a letter to PWD bus pass holders this week. The letter states that there will be a $25 increase in the PWD support rate beginning September 1, 2016 (payment date August 24) and bus pass holders will have the option of keeping their bus pass or having a $52 “transportation allowance” added to their cheque each month. People on PWD who do not have a bus pass will have the $52 transportation allowance added to their September cheque automatically.

If you have a bus pass already and want to keep your bus pass you do not have to do anything.  If you have a bus pass and want to cancel it to get the additional $52 cash amount added to your cheque beginning September 1 you need to contact the Ministry by August 5 to let them know.  If you choose the $52 cash amount you can still use your bus pass until the end of August.

After that you still have the option to switch back and forth between the bus pass and $52 cash amount on a monthly basis.  To do this you need to contact the Ministry by the 5th of the previous month to let them know (e.g. contact the Ministry by October 5th to start or stop your bus pass for November).

People on PWD who receive a Comforts Allowance, Room and Board, or a PWD top-up payment will also benefit from the $25 increase and have the choice between a bus pass or a $52 per month transportation allowance starting September 1, 2016.

Three ways to contact the Ministry about your Bus Pass

By Phone: Monday to Friday, 9 am – 4 pm, call 1-866-866-0800.

By Email:  You can email the BC Bus Pass Program at   Allow up to five business days to receive a response by email.

Online via My Self Serve: After Aug 5th, you can access services online through My Self Serve at, once registered.