Community Update: MSDSI and Ministry of Justice Announcements
Dear Community Partner,
This community update is about recent announcements by the Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation, and the Ministry of Justice.
Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation (MSDSI)
MSDSI recently announced the following changes which will come into effect on September 1st 2015:
– Child-support payments will be fully exempt for families receiving income and disability assistance.
– The earnings exemption for families with children who receive income assistance will increase from $200 to $400 a month.
– The earnings exemption for families with a child with a disability will increase from $300 to $500 dollars a month. (Please note that families receiving disability assistance are already eligible for the Annual Earnings Exemption so this change does not apply to them.)
– Single parents receiving income and disability assistance will be able to continue receiving income assistance for up to 12 months while they train for a new job.
– Single parents receiving income and disability assistance will have access, through Work BC, to:
• Tuition and education costs for approved training programs that last up to 12 months for in-demand jobs
• Transportation costs to and from school
• Full child care costs during training
Please contact Robin Loxton at 604-872-1278 or 1-800-663-1278 if you have questions.
Minister of Justice
On March 12th, the Minister of Justice introduced the Guide Dog and Service Dog Act. If passed the Act will improve access rights and clarify rules covering the training and certification of guide and service dogs. The Act will also improve the tenancy rights of people who use guide and service dogs and will ensure that retired dogs will be able to continue to reside with their owners even if their owner has a new guide or service dog.
Please contact Jane Dyson at 604-875-0188 if you have questions.