DABC Volunteer Placement: Special Event Assistant
Volunteer Placement: Special Event Assistant
Since 2013, we have been hosting an annual fundraising gala. Fall Fling 2017 was our biggest yet and featured CBC’s Stephen Quinn as our host and entertainer David C. Jones.
We are seeking a Special Event Assistant to help us with Fall Fling 2018. Here’s a link with more info about the gala: https://disabilityalliancebc.org/fall-fling/. Fall Fling 2018 will be on September 27th at Vancouver’s Italian Cultural Centre and it will feature dinner, live and silent auctions, entertainment and a raffle. The event also includes our Employer of the Year Awards, which facilitate awareness about employment for people with disabilities.
This event has promotional and fundraising goals. Fall Fling brings together many organizations and individuals from BC’s disability community and helps to raise awareness about DABC’s work. It is DABC’s biggest fundraiser of the year. All of the proceeds generated from Fall Fling go towards supporting programs and services that assist people with disabilities who are living on low incomes.
The volunteers will work with our team and assist with various aspects of the planning for Fall Fling 2018, work at the event and help with post-event wrap-up. Tasks/responsibilities will include:
• Contacting potential sponsors and auction donors.
• Picking up auction donations and updating shared auction donation spreadsheets.
• Recording and updating event activities and communications in shared files.
• Assisting with event correspondence and the creation of event materials.
• Helping to recruit and organize event volunteers.
• Assisting with event set-up and décor prior to the event.
• At the event, helping staff to make sure that the event runs smoothly. (Exact role at the event is TBD).
• Helping with post-event wrap-up with: thank you letters and receipts, contributing to event recap feedback and other tasks as needed.
We are seeking volunteers with energy, enthusiasm and maturity to be responsible representatives of DABC.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Good written and oral communication skills.
• Attention to detail, strong organizational skills and the ability to follow-up on tasks in an independent manner.
• Volunteers should be comfortable and confident approaching dealing with a wide variety of people and situations. Ex: Comfortable approaching new potential donors and sponsors.
• Computer skills and knowledge of common programs, ex: Word, Excel, Publisher, Google Docs, Photoshop.
• Some fundraising knowledge or experience would be preferred, but not required.
• Special event skills would be preferred, but not required.
Volunteers should have their own laptop computer.
Number of Openings: 2
Hours Per Week: 4 hrs/week
To apply: Please submit a resume to email@example.com.