DABC’s Tax AID program is seeking Volunteer Tax Preparers
Who We Are
Since 1977, Disability Alliance BC (DABC) has been a provincial, cross-disability voice in British Columbia. We champion issues impacting the lives of people with disabilities through our direct services, community partnerships, advocacy, research, and publications.
Our mission: to support people, with all disabilities, to live with dignity, independence, and as equal and full participants in the community.
Tax AID DABC partners with the Together Against Poverty Society, the Ki-Low-Na Friendship Society, and the Active Support Against Poverty Society, to provide free support to people with disabilities across BC to file their taxes.
DABC is seeking several volunteers who are passionate about community work to join our Tax AID program, year-round. Volunteers will work one-on-one to assist people with disabilities with their income taxes, with supervision of the Senior Tax Advocate. Volunteers will work remotely and will be able to set their own schedule.
Skills and Assets
Successful Volunteers must have:
- 1-2 years of experience with client tax filling
- Good computer and technology skills; (Microsoft Office Suite, experience working with UFile is an asset)
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A strong desire to help and serve our community of people with disabilities
- An ability to maintain strict confidentiality
Successful Volunteers must also be able to:
- Pass a Criminal Record Check
- Obtain an EFILE number (personal tax filings are current; no outstanding tax debt; not in bankruptcy)
- Complete income tax returns in accordance with Revenue Canada guidelines
- Report questions or concerns to the Income Tax Clinic supervisor
Benefits of Volunteering
- Help individuals get or maintain uninterrupted access to benefits and credits
- Give back to the community
- Increase personal tax knowledge
- Gain new skills and improve existing ones
- Receive training, support, and reference materials including free tax software
Training and Orientation
- Orientation to Tax AID DABC programs, policies, and procedures
- Canada Revenue Agency online webinars
- Virtual supervision by Income Tax Clinic supervisor
Application Deadline: rolling application until all spots are filled
If you are interested in applying, please submit a resume to Cynthia Minh, Director, Tax AID, firstname.lastname@example.org (Please indicate “Volunteer Tax Preparer” in the email subject line).