Join Our Advocacy Access Team! We’re seeking a Community Advocate
Community Advocate for DABC
Who We Are
Since 1977, Disability Alliance BC (DABC) has been a provincial, cross-disability voice in British Columbia. We champion issues impacting the lives of people with disabilities through our direct services, community partnerships, advocacy, research and publications.
We work to support people with all disabilities to live with dignity, independence and as equal and full participants in the community.
DABC is seeking a Community Advocate to join our Advocacy Access Team. The Advocate will be responsible for individual and community advocacy relating to provincial disability benefits.
- Assist people with disabilities with applications and appeals relating to provincial disability (Persons with Disabilities and Persons with Persistent and Multiple Barriers)
- Conduct workshops/webinars about provincial disability benefits for community organizations, people with disabilities, healthcare professionals, and other interested individuals and groups
- Be a provincial resource for community advocates and individuals on policy and legislation governing PWD/PPMB
The position will be based out of DABC’s Vancouver office but may require occasional travel to other BC communities.
- This position is for 40 hours per week or 5 days per week. Currently we are offering a hybrid work model of work in the office parttime and work from home parttime.
The successful applicant must:
- Have a minimum 2 years combined post-secondary education and/or applicable work experience
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate complex concepts in plain language
- Be able to work effectively with people with disabilities from a client-centered approach
- Be self-motivated, adaptable, and able to work effectively with a team
- Have strong analytical and research skills
- Have excellent organizational skills
- Be computer literate and proficient with word-processing software including the Microsoft Office Suite
- Maintain the integrity and confidentiality of sensitive client information
The following are strong assets for this position:
- Experience with provincial disability benefits (PWD/PPMB)
- Experience in the non-profit sector
- Background in law, social work, or a related field
- Experience with a disability and/or supporting people with disabilities
- Experience with legal research
- Understanding of anti-oppression principles
Salary: $43,000 annually
DABC provides 3 weeks paid vacation in the first year, paid sick days, and extended health care benefits after the 3-month probationary period.
DABC is an open and diverse organization that promotes inclusive hiring practices. We encourage applications from qualified applicants who identify as visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and of all sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Please submit a resume and brief covering letter addressed to Karen Martin, Executive Director: Operations: email@example.com No phone calls or faxes please.
Applications are due no later than 4:30 p.m. on September 2nd. DABC welcomes all applications, however, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview. Interviews will be conducted in September and the position starts mid-to-late September.