DABC is seeking a Tax Advocate
October 18, 2021
November 1, 2021
4 days/week—may increase depending on the needs of the program.
This position is until March 31, 2024, with the possibility of an extension.
• Extended Health Care Benefits after 3-month probationary period
• Paid Vacation
• Paid sick leave
Report to: Director, Tax AID
Who We Are
Since 1977, Disability Alliance BC (DABC) has been a provincial, cross-disability voice in British Columbia. We champion issues impacting the lives of people with disabilities through our direct services, community partnerships, advocacy, research, and publications.
Our mission: to support people, with all disabilities, to live with dignity, independence, and as equal and full participants in the community.
Tax AID DABC partners with the Together Against Poverty Society, the Ki-Low-Na Friendship Society, and the Active Support Against Poverty Society, to provide free support to people with disabilities across BC to file income taxes for current and previous years. In addition to simple tax filing, we help with self-employment income, outstanding amounts owed to the Canada
Revenue Agency (CRA), applying for other tax related government programs/benefits, and matters related to financial literacy.
DABC is seeking an advocate to join our Tax AID program. Under the supervision of the Tax AID Director, the Advocate/Program Coordinator will work one-on-one to assist people with disabilities with their income taxes and raise awareness about the program through strategic partnership and community outreach. The successful candidate will have other administrative responsibilities related to the program’s operations including developing and conducting workshops, assisting with program reports, and participating in team meetings and training on an as needed basis.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
· Prepare and file accurate tax returns for current and previous years in compliance with CRA standards
· Liaise with clients and the CRA on specific issues related to personal taxes
· Manage multiple client files simultaneously
· Report any questions or concerns to the Director
· Compile and organize client records
· Attend trainings to further develop knowledge on income tax matters
· Organize and assist with volunteer training and potentially their supervision over time as the candidate grows in their role
A successful applicant must
· Be able to work effectively with people with disabilities
· Possess a four-year undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience
· Meet the requirements to be a tax filer through CRA’s Community Volunteer Income Tax Preparation (CVITP) program
· Have more than 2 years of proven experience using income tax preparation software (e.g., UFile) to prepare income tax returns for clients
· Be self-motivated and adaptable and able to work effectively with a team
· Be detail-oriented and have excellent organizational skills
· Have strong verbal and written communication skills
· Understand the importance of preserving the confidentiality of sensitive client information
· Be computer literate and proficient with word-processing software, including the Microsoft Office Suite
· Be comfortable working in the office and remotely
· Be available for occasional travel to communities across Lower Mainland
The following would also be assets in the position:
· Knowledge of tax law
· Volunteer or coordination experience with the Canadian Revenue Agency’s CVITP Program
· Working knowledge of income tax programs for people with disabilities including the Disability Tax Credit, Canada caregiver amount and other deductions
· Completion of an accounting or tax certificate or diploma/degree
DABC is an open and diverse organization that promotes inclusive hiring practices. We encourage applications from qualified applicants who identify as visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and of all sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Please submit a resume and brief cover letter addressed to Cynthia Minh (Director, Tax AID & Access RDSP) firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject heading “Job Application: Tax AID Advocate.” No phone calls or faxes please.
Applications are due no later than 4:30 p.m. on November 1, 2021. DABC welcomes all applications, however, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview. Interviews will be conducted in November and the position start date will be mid-November 2021.
Download the job posting here: Job-Description-Tax-Advocatefinal_Oct2021.