The $400 BC renter’s tax credit is new for the 2023 tax year

By Vickie Smith, Tax AID Program, Active Support Against Poverty Society 

For the 2023 tax year, renters in British Columbia can claim a new tax credit of up to $400. 

Here’s what you need to know about the credit and how to claim it. 

This is a refundable credit: meaning if you do not have an amount owing to CRA, and you meet all the criteria, the $400 credit should be received as a refund. If you have an outstanding balance with CRA, this credit will be applied to decrease the amount you owe.  

To qualify, you must be either: 

  • at least 19 years of age  
  • OR in a common-law relationship or married  
  • OR a parent of a child. 

You must also:

  • have rented and occupied a unit in BC for at least 6 months of the calendar year you are filing AND 
  • been a resident of BC on December 31 of that year* 

*A calendar year is January 1 to December 31 of the filing year. The 6 months do not have to be consecutive. 

Where there are partners, either common-law or married, only one member of the household may apply. If you were incarcerated for more than 6 months of the filing year you are not eligible. Rent paid to a relative, a campsite, a boat moorage, mobile home pad rentals or to a rent-to-own agreement are not considered valid for this credit.  

This credit is income tested: meaning the amount you are eligible to receive is based on the amount of adjusted family income you earned. Adjusted family income means the total income you and your spouse or common law partner have earned minus any government credits to which you are entitled.   

Those filing as single; common-law; married; or single with dependent/s having an adjusted family income of less than $60,000 will be eligible to receive the full $400.00 credit. Those with income between $60,000 and $80,000 can still receive a partial amount, with a reduction rate of 2% of the amount you make over $60,000.  

Every year, the income threshold will change to account for inflation.  

To claim this credit at the time of filing you must provide the following information for each location you are claiming:   

  • an address 
  • total of rent paid 
  • total of months rented 
  • the name or the landlord or organization. 

If you moved in the same year, be sure to include both landlords’ names, and how much rent you paid in each address.  

This information must be recorded on your tax refund at time of filing and any receipts or agreements should be kept as back up in case CRA has follow up questions. 

Vickie Smith is a tax advocate for the Tax AID program at Active Support Against Poverty Society. 

The Tax AID Partnership can help file your taxes. Find local support near you: 

Disability Alliance BC
1450-605 Robson Street, Vancouver, BC, V6B 5J3
Tel: 236-477-1717 Toll Free 1-877-940-7797  

Ki-Low-Na Friendship Society
442 Leon Ave, Kelowna, BC V1Y 6J3
Tel: 250-763-4905  

Together Against Poverty Society
828 View Street, Victoria, BC, V8W 1K2
Tel: 250-361-3521  

Active Support Against Poverty Society
1188 6 Ave, Prince George, BC V2L 3M6
Tel: 250-563-6112 Toll-free: 1-877-563-6112