File Income Taxes
Tax Assistance and Information for People with Disabilities DABC (Tax AID DABC): Through this program, we assist people who are receiving the Persons with Disabilities (PWD) benefit or the Persons with Persistent and Multiple Barriers (PPMB) benefit with simple income tax filings and information/referrals.
Expanded Tax AID Program
Since 2015, advocates with Tax AID DABC have been providing free support to people receiving Persons with Disabilities (PWD) and Persons with Persistent Multiple Barriers to Employment (PPMB) benefits to file their taxes. In 2018, DABC’s Tax AID program has expanded to three other organizations across BC. The Together Against Poverty Society (TAPS) provides services through the Tax AID TAPS on Vancouver Island; the Ki-Low-Na Friendship Society provides services through Tax AID Ki-Low-Na in the Interior; and the Active Support Against Poverty Society (ASAP) provides services in the North through Tax AID ASAP. Disability Alliance BC continues to provide services as Tax AID DABC in Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley. In addition to providing direct income tax filing services, Tax AID advocates are also available to hold workshops and community information sessions about income tax filing in communities around BC.
How We Can Help
If you are receiving PWD or PPMB and need help filing your income tax returns from past years, DABC advocates can provide the following assistance:
- Help you gather the documents necessary to file your taxes
- Meet with you one-on-one to help you file your basic income tax return
- Provide information and advice (in-person, or by phone and/or email) about filing income tax returns
- Provide referrals to community organizations in your area that can help with more complex tax returns (returns for deceased persons; individuals who file for bankruptcy; self-employed individuals; individuals who report capital gains or losses; or individuals who report employment expenses or business or rental income and expenses)
- Access advice and support for you from a chartered accountant, if your tax return is complex
An Appointment is Needed to See An Advocate
There is a high demand for one-to-one assistance from our advocates, so please call Advocacy Access to book your appointment. Thank you.
Tax AID DABC
METRO VANCOUVER AND FRASER VALLEY
Office Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Ki-Low-Na Friendship Society
442 Leon Avenue, Kelowna BC V1Y 6J3
Phone: 250-763-4905 ext.215
Our sincere thanks to the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction for funding this program expansion
And thank you to the Vancouver Foundation for the initial funding for Tax AID DABC