Seniors Program: Tea, Talk and Crumpets - Wednesday, October 18th
Seniors Program: Tea, Talk and Crumpets
Topic: Facilitation Skills Training
Speakers: Karen Lai and Lydia Luk
When: Wednesday, October 18th, 1:30-4:00 pm.
Where: Yaletown Roundhouse Community Centre
RSVP to Dan Chalcraft: email@example.com/604-408-9484
Light refreshments provided!
Fact Sheet: The Annual BC Bus Pass Program and the new Transportation Supplement for People on Disability Assistance
The Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction has released the following fact sheet on the $52 transportation subsidy for people receiving provincial disability assistance that was announced yesterday.
The Annual BC Bus Pass Program and the new Transportation Supplement for People on Disability Assistance
Beginning January 1, 2018, people receiving disability assistance, with the Person’s with Disabilities (PWD) designation, will get an extra $52 each month for a new transportation supplement.
The supplement creates fairness and will help people connect with their community, giving them freedom to work, shop, and participate in social activities.
How to use the Transportation Supplement for an annual bus pass:
- If someone with a disability who is on assistance would like an annual bus pass they can contact the Ministry of Social Development at 1-866-866-0800 or visit the BC Bus Pass Program website.
- If someone already has an annual BC Bus Pass and they want to keep it, they can. They don’t have to contact the ministry. Beginning with the January 2018 payment they will no longer have $52 deducted from their support payment.
- The BC Bus Pass can still be used in both TransLink and BC Transit areas.
How to use the Transportation Supplement for other transportation needs:
- If someone does not want or need a bus pass they can use the supplement to pay for other transportation costs (for example, HandyDART or a taxi).
- They don’t have to contact the ministry the $52 Transportation Supplement will be automatically added to the January 2018 payment.
More information about the supplement:
- As people’s needs may change over time the new supplement will provide flexibility. People can apply for the BC Bus Pass at any time during the year. They can also cancel their bus pass at any time and use their supplement for other transportation needs.
Why government made this change:
- Transportation is important to everyone on disability assistance.
- Government consulted with stakeholders and asked for their advice on the best approach to improve the system of transportation supports.
For more information:
Go to: www.buspass.gov.bc.ca or call: 1-866-866-0800
To download the fact sheet, please click here.