New Year’s Challenge: Group Coaching Program for People Living with HIV
Tired of giving up on your New Year’s resolutions?
No, this isn’t another “get rich/successful quick” scheme. It will take commitment and willingness to keep an open mind. We’ll use strategies from positive psychology and narrative/personal storytelling to:
- challenge assumptions that can limit your options and actions
- maximize gain by identifying small but powerful actions
- recognize and access personal strengths and resources
- realize the potential of re-authoring your personal stories
Weekly sessions will include discussion/exploration of:
- techniques and research from positive psychology, including happiness, resilience, gratitude, strengths, goal setting and mindfulness
- life as narrative or story: sharing your short (2 pages maximum) stories on various life themes (Guided Autobiography or GAB). GAB provides new perspectives through the experience of authoring and re-authoring our stories. Stories will be written during the week between sessions.
- ways to adapt and use these tools while living with chronic illness
Dates & Locations:
Groups are forming now and will run through February and March 2012. They are free for people living with HIV. Each group will meet two hours weekly for six weeks.
Face-to-face groups: held at the BCCPD office in Vancouver and at other locations/organizations by special arrangement. Service providers please contact us to discuss hosting a group.
Teleconference groups: teleconference programs will be offered for participants outside of the Lower Mainland. Contact us for dates & details.
Shelley Hourston is a trained coach with an Appreciative Inquiry/positive psychology focus and a Guided Autobiography Instructor. She is Program Director at the BC Coalition of People with Disabilities’ Wellness & Disability Initiative/AIDS & Disability Action Program. For more information or to register, contact her at email@example.com or phone 604-875-0188 (toll-free 1-877-232-7400). Contact us soon as spaces are limited.