Job Posting: Community Advocate for DABC
Open: March 3, 2023
Closes: March 17, 2023
Location: Vancouver, BC
Category: Community and Social Services Job
Type: Full Time (4 days/week), Maternity Leave Cover, for a 12-month period
Salary: $48,000/year (prorated to $38,400/year)
Who We Are
Since 1977, Disability Alliance BC (DABC) has been a provincial, cross-disability voice in British Columbia. We champion issues impacting the lives of people with disabilities through our direct services, community partnerships, advocacy, research and publications.
Our mission: to support people, with all disabilities, to live with dignity, independence and as equal and full participants in the community.
Access RDSP is a DABC program in partnership with Plan Institute and the BC Aboriginal Network on Disability Society (BCANDS). This program is part of the financial literacy arm of our Advocacy Access Program.
Building on the work of our collaborative partnership, the objective of this program is to promote the Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) and the Disability Tax Credit (DTC) across BC, and to assist people with disabilities to access the DTC and open an RDSP.
DABC is seeking a Community Advocate for our Access RDSP program. Under the supervision of the Program Manager, the Advocate will work one-on-one to help people with disabilities apply for the DTC and learn about the RDSP. The Advocate will also help raise awareness about the RDSP through the development of strategic partnerships and community outreach. The successful applicant will also have administrative responsibilities associated with the day-to-day operation of the program.
The position will be based out of DABC’s Vancouver office but requires occasional travel to other BC communities.
This position is to cover a maternity leave for a 12-month period and may be extended; it is for 4 days per week (pro-rated to $38,400 annual salary) with the possibility of increasing to 5 days per week ($48,000 annual salary).
The successful applicant must:
- Be able to work effectively with people with disabilities
- Have a minimum 2 years combined post-secondary education and/or applicable work experience
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate complex concepts in plain language
- Be computer literate and proficient with word-processing software including the Microsoft Office Suite
- Be available for occasional travel to communities across BC
- Be self-motivated, adaptable, and able to work effectively with a team
- Have excellent organizational skills
- Have strong knowledge of social media
- Maintain the integrity and confidentiality of sensitive client information
The following are strong assets for this position:
- Experience with disability benefits, including the DTC and RDSP
- Experience in the non-profit sector
- Experience with community outreach or program planning
- Experience with presenting complex information to diverse audiences
- Experience working with Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with a disability and/or supporting people with disabilities
- A driver’s license
DABC is an open and diverse organization that promotes inclusive hiring practices. We encourage applications from qualified applicants who identify as visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and of all sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Please submit a resume and brief cover letter addressed to Cynthia Minh, Director—Tax AID& Access RDSP at firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject heading “Job Application: Community Advocate”. No phone calls or faxes please.
Applications are due no later than 4:30 p.m. on March 17, 2023. DABC welcomes all applications, however, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview. Interviews will be conducted at the end of March and the position start date will be at the start of April.